Saturday, August 21, 2021

Beluga

 


The branch of the organization I work at is named WALES, an acronym for Working Adults Learning Empowering Skills. It's spelled like the country, but we usually use symbolism from the aquatic mammals that share a pronunciation.

Most of the rooms in the building are based on whales, and as the In-House Facilitator, my room was the Beluga Room. However, I recently was promoted to a Community Facilitator, which means that my office moved to the Narwhal Room. To honour my time in the Beluga Room, I made this painting.

I'd like to paint a narwhal to honour my new office, especially because they're so distinct, but to be honest I still rely a little on reference images and somehow, I can't find any good images of narwhals on the Internet.

I like this painting. It's pretty simple. The only colour used in it is blue, which is managed by white and black. The whale looks cheerful and it makes me happy when I look at it. I didn't go for complex shading, but I think the angling does the job of capturing perspective and motion.

No comments:

Post a Comment